I just got this from the FEMA website.
The Different Types of Disasters and Hazards:
Chemical
Dam Failure
Earthquake
Fire or Wildfire
Flood
Hazardous Material
Heat
Hurricane
Landslide
Nuclear Power Plant Emergency
Terrorism
Thunderstorm
Tornado
Tsunami
Volcano
Wildfire
Winter Storm
For some reason, it doesn't list "four children." I'm not quite sure why. In my experience, they can cause quite a bit of damage. My house is proof of this. I've taken a few pictures to prove my case.
This is a picture of my living room right now. It was spotless before they came home from school.

This is a picture of Abbie's high chair. It's been wiped up a little, but will need its nightly bleaching soon.

And, finally, this is my older boys' room. It is a sty. I have informed them that as of right now, "Nice Mom" has gone away and her replacement, "Mean Mom" will be here until the house is spotless. We cleaned out Abbie and Campbell's room yesterday and found a small smorgasbord under Cam's bed. DISGUSTING! The food was beyond recognition. Did I ever think that was possible in my house? NO!!!

Children are amazing little creatures. They are so much fun, but such little savages at the same time. I never thought that kids could be so time-consuming! Being a mom really is like working two full-time jobs. They keep me hopping.
Another thing missing from FEMA's list is "husbands." I have a hubby with a little bit of a clutter problem. I go through piles of crap weekly trying to weed through them to find the stuff we actually need and get rid of what we don't. Bless his little heart he just can't throw things away. He comes from a family who saved EVERYTHING. I came from a family with very little sentimentality. The two worlds do not mix well. Clutter makes me nuts. I find myself lying awake at night thinking about ways to attack the craziness without making him think he's married to a psycho. (He might very well be.) I've come up with some great ideas, but I haven't implemented a single one of them.
Here's a picture of the computer desk right now. The pictures on the desktop are mine from my facebook addiction problem. The rest is stuff that hasn't made it to its place in the file cabinets or bookshelves.

This is a picture of Lain's side of the bed. I'm sure you're impressed with our dinky little laminate side tables. Our room is so gigantic that these are all that will fit on the sides of our bed. Don't worry, though, we are maximizing our space there. Check it out.

As much as I'd like to blame every disaster in my life on everyone else, I can't. My procrastination should make it to the top of the natural disasters list. I have a number of unfinished projects throughout our house and seem to start new ones all the time. It's a little insane. This is my to do list as it is written on my white board right now:
To Do:
Stain shed/swingset
Trim ceiling paint
Fix closet doors in boys' room
Fix drywall in bathroom/ paint bathroom
Hang towel bars
Fix sink (I should erase that because it's done. However, it should be replaced by, "fix garbage disposal.)
Paint range hood white
Paint basement
Prune fruit trees before spring
That list has been up there FOREVER!!! I have been putting Lain to work on it a little since he's been out of work. Here's what our bathroom looks like right now. It's progress, but who knows how long it will look like this!

So as I sit here typing away on my blog, I have 27 loads of laundry piled up, pee on the floor around the toilet, and my sink looks like this:

I guess I had better get busy before any other natural disasters come my way. Why can't someone take me away from all this and put me up in a hotel for a couple of days while a cleanup crew comes in and takes over? Just kidding! What else am I gonna do?








5 comments:
Looks like you need some counseling for that addiction. As for Lain and the kids--They need their butts whipped. Sounds good anyway!! Some people live with their addictions well hidden for years. What happened?
I'm taking ownership! That's the first step, right?!
Someone alert FEMA. You've come up with some very serious concerns regarding their disasters and I've seen your children in action. They can do it faster then a hurricane!
Isn't it weird that same disaster happens every day at my house. It just goes by a different name.
I honestly was thinking how nice the boys room looks compared to the one of hurricane Savannah. I can rarely see carpet. I would send you a picture as proof, but I am afraid to go in there. She has been working on it though, and might get it done within the next month or so as long as we don't have to deal with a cast on her foot. If we do, I don't know if the room will ever get done.
Post a Comment