
I have been on a bread baking kick for the last few days. My husband and kids can't seem to get enough of it lately, so I just keep making more. It is really easy and is so inexpensive to make. I have a smaller KitchenAid mixer, and this recipe is the perfect size for it. I only have to use my dough hook- no hand kneading necessary. It doesn't get much better than that! Here's the recipe if you're interested:
BASIC WHITE BREAD FOR KITCHENAID
½ cup low-fat milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 packages active dry yeast (4½ tsp active dry yeast)
1½ cups warm water (105 F to 115 F)
5-6 cups all-purpose flour (Mine ends up being about 5½ cups.)
Place milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm. (Lukewarm is baby bottle warm- you shouldn't notice much of a difference from your body temperature. If you get it too hot- you will kill your yeast.)I do this step in the microwave on high for about 1-2 minutes- much less work!
Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add lukewarm milk mixture and 4 ½ cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 1 minute.
Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, and mix about 2 minutes, or until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on Speed 2 about 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.
Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf, and place in greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ -inch baking pans. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
Bake at 400* F for 30 minutes, or until golden brown**. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks. (Mine is done in under 20 minutes, so make sure you keep an eye on it.)
**For an extra special touch, rub butter on tops of loaves immediately after you take them out of the oven. I love that!
I hope you guys try it and love it. The crust is really tender and the middle is soft and fluffy. It really is the easiest bread recipe I've ever made. And the taste is MMMMMM! Go ahead, be brave, bake bread!








4 comments:
I hope you are still in the mood when you come down here...if you know what I mean!
Hi, Trying to reach you! You won the $5 Footlocker certificate on the MomsWhoSave.com Blog giveaway. I didn't see where you'd left a way to contact you. Please DM me via twitter at http://twitter.com/MomsWhoSave or email me at teresa@momswhosave.com Thanks.
That looks yummy! Tacie
I just got done catching up on yur family - super cute....LOVE the Natural Disaster post!!! I wish I could make bread like that, every time I try it's horrible....
Post a Comment