19.5.09

Just a little thought...






Today I took Preston to see the Geneticist. We've been waiting for several months to get him in again. Not that we have any high hopes, but we're always curious to see if anyone has any answers for us as to what is going on with him medically. As far as that is concerned, we're still wondering. But I did gain a little insight from the visit.




When the doctor first came in the room he asked us a little bit about Preston and where he's at academically. I explained to him that I'm really pleased with his progress and I owe a lot of it to the excellent school he attends. Preston has made great improvements in the two years he has gone to this particular school. We adore the faculty there and they seem to really love Peanut (and all of the boys, for that matter). The doctor seemed amazed at that and jokingly said he should refer all of his patients in Davis County to attend our school. I laughed and said that I definitely realized I was lucky and that our school is indeed an exception to the rule here in the state of Utah.




As the appointment went on (it lasted almost 3 hours), we discussed some new testing that they would like to run on Preston. The tests are really expensive and meet a lot of resistance from many insurance companies, particularly Medicaid. We currently have that for the boys as Lain is out of work and we couldn't continue on cobra benefits. Because of the state of the economy right now, more families are on Medicaid and they are really watching the big expenses. The doctor said that maybe we could get lucky with this like we did on the school thing. I laughed, but then I realized something; luck has nothing to do with the things that have occurred in my life.




Almost 3 years ago, I woke up one morning, strolled into the kitchen and told my husband we needed to sell our house. We had only lived in it for 10 months at the time. That evening we put a sign in the front yard. Two weeks later, the house had sold and a couple of weeks after that I was moving into this special little money pit! The moment I drove through this neighborhood, I KNEW this was where we were supposed to be. I had no doubts. Now, here it is almost 3 years later and my children are thriving. They are doing so well in school, have excellent friends and we are in the most amazing neighborhood imaginable. Before he started kindergarten, the specialists said Preston would have to use communication devices to function at school and that he would probably be mainly in a functional skills-type setting. It may seem trivial to some, but my son speaks full sentences now, writes his name and can read a lot of sight words. He is in a general education classroom for 2.5 hours a day and resource the rest. My heart is full because of the miracles that I continue to witness in my life.




Life is not easy. In fact, it can seem down right crappy at times. But, I know that through all the trials, come these moments of joy and happiness. These moments when I feel so depressed because I have such bad "luck" pass and I realize that luck really has nothing to do with it. I have adversity and I have blessings. The Lord is here for me through it all- good and bad. The thing I need to do is recognize His great hand in my life and acknowledge Him for the days of good fortune and rely on Him when that "luck" turns sour. I'm grateful for the Spirit and the ability I have to receive inspiration when I need it most. I needed it today. I needed a reminder that God lives and remembers me. His hand is in my life daily and my children bear constant witness to that.



I guess I am pretty lucky after all! Don't you think?




6 comments:

The White Clan said...

I love that kid! I just had to tell you that.

And we all need days of perspective, thanks!

labrierley said...

That is crazy how big peanut and all of your kids are for that matter! He has come so far! I miss being able to see you guys!!

Tacie Kerr said...

Great insights - always a good reminder.

The Piet Girls said...

This was a beautiful post Sarah. You reminded me about what really matters in life. Thanks.

Gardners said...

Sarah, we are trying to find answers to what is going on with our daughter too. I bet you have more resources than we do in Vegas (one geneticist for the STATE). It sucks sometimes but, celebrating the progress is very sweet!

Iowafamily said...

Sarah,
Dawn directed me to your blog and it was fun looking through your posts and pictures. Your family is wonderful, I am very happy for you.

Get a hold of me when you have a chance (soconn7516@aol.com)
or go to Patricia's blog at iowafamily.blogspot.com

Your Long Lost Friend :)
Sean O'Connell