
I remember the day of the ultrasound. The conversation went something like this:
Tech: "Do you want to know what you're having?"
Me: "I know. It's a boy."
Tech: "No. It's a girl."
Me: "Are you sure? I know it's a boy."
Tech: "No. Look. Leg, leg, and nothing in between."
Me: "Are you really sure?"
I made that poor girl show me multiple between-the-leg shots on that baby and I STILL didn't believe it was a girl!


I bought all of two items of clothing before the baby was born: a yellow short outfit, and a white sweater. I just couldn't bring myself to buy the pink. But, don't worry, the pink came. It came in abundance!!! Almost everything was pink. I couldn't even bring myself to wash it. I just knew it would all have to go back. Finally, my mom came to stay for a couple of weeks, and I actually washed the clothes. This is where things got real to me. Do you know what I saw? PINK FLUFF!! For the first time in my life, the dryer lint was totally pink. What was that all about? I mean, I've had pink clothes before, but not enough to turn the lint totally pink. Amazing! Was I really ready for this?

Abigail Elizabeth Duke was born exactly one year ago! From the moment she entered this world, she entranced me! I fell in love immediately! Who was this perfect little person? How could I be so blessed a fourth time? (I have never felt worthy of any of my children.) I couldn't take my eyes off of her perfect little round head and flawless pink skin. She took my breath away! We had been so worried she would be too early and have to stay in the hospital like her brothers had. But she was healthy. A tiny little miracle! (I started dilating when I was just 29 weeks.) She was determined from the beginning and stayed put until 37 weeks. Little did we know how strong-willed this child really was!

I like to say her dad spoils her. (He really does.) I have to admit, however, he is not the only one. She has hardly left my side since the day she was born. Her bassinet only was used about 5 times in the first 3 months of her life. She slept with me the rest of the time! (We moved her into her crib after that.) She goes with me everywhere. She is my little partner while shopping. We play outside in the grass or swing on the swing set. She loves being outside. I love all of the time we have together. It's fun to be able to enjoy so much time together. She was born further apart than the boys were, so it gives us an opportunity to spend more time together. I love it so much!

We call her the grand finale, the caboose, the icing on the cake or whatever other weird cliche comes to our minds. She really does finish off our family perfectly. Lain & I often tell people one girl is plenty for us. And that's no lie! We definitely have our hands full with her! She has got more personality than any child I have ever met!! You can read her by just looking at the expression on her face. AMAZING! She has had dramatic ups and downs from the minute she was born. It's hilarious! She definitely knows what she wants! She is a serious pistol! I wouldn't have her any other way.

Her brothers worship her. Adam was not excited to have a girl at first. It meant having "girl toys" in the house. After a couple of months (during the pregnancy), he said it was okay as long as she was a tomboy! He is her biggest fan now. That not-so-affectionate child can't get enough of his baby sister. None of them can! She is, by far, the most loved child on the planet! She has earned the title "Princess" in our home. I'm sure that will endure!

I know she was sent to our family to complete it. We would not be content without her. Some days I only make it through because she has flashed me her gappy little smile! I never in a million years would have thought that a little girl could be so much fun and make us all so happy. We are so happy she could come and be a part of our family!

We love you Abbie! Happy 1st birthday!!!!








6 comments:
Great post! I love that fat little thing too! I can't wait to see her. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBIE!!!!!
Happy Birthday Baby Girl!! I was there when she is born and am gonna be there for her one year party too!! You better believe it! She cracks me up and I love her to death! As always, I'll always give her whatever she wants. You're the cutest one year old out there this year Babbs!
Oh and might I add, are those my fat rolls in that newborn in the hospital picture?
Why, yes, they are! (And your skinny fingers, too!)
O.k. that's the cutest blog I've seen. Thank you for sharing more insights of your cute family with me. I love your descriptions of the simple pleasures in life- our time with our children, that make us the happiest. Abbie sure is a lucky gal to have such a great family. Happy birthday! Can't believe it's been a year!
It's gone too fast. I hate thinking about it! She's my little baby!
Post a Comment