9.6.08

My garden fetish

I'm so sick of looking at that last post! Boo hoo hoo! Thanks for all the nice comments, people!



Anyway, I have moooooved on!



Over the weekend we tilled our garden and got it ready for planting. I figured it might just get warm and stay there one of these days. I planted my lilacs in front (right now it looks like I just planted sticks- let's hope that changes). Now I am ready to start planting all of the veggies in back.

Today I took the kids all around getting the different varieties of tomatoes I want in there. PLUS, I wanted a specific kind of flower to go along my walkway, so we had to go to three different nurseries before I found those. I wanted red Columbine, NOT blue or pink or even yellow. You see, once I paint my shutters and my doors red (I've had the paint since we moved in almost two years ago), the red flowers will really stand out. Right now the door and shutters are green, you know, that lovely forest green from the 80's & 90's?! I even have a lovely tile address plaque with green and colored flowers all over it over the door to match! Aren't I lucky? ANYWHOOOO, once I paint them, my gardening will make sense. We ripped up all of the old rose bushes, and planted the red lilacs instead (I plan on getting a cute bench to go between the two lilac bushes); then we pulled up the bushes and flowers along the walkway and planted blue lobelia with the red columbine- SO Pretty- especially after they all fill out. I also planted three red geraniums under my bay window. They should get nice and big. I can't wait to see how pretty it all looks! I should take a before and after shot- the after will be a long time coming, though! Besides, I still have PLENTY ripping out to do and replanting also. I did buy a white hydrangea to put in the back yard- it was on clearance today!!

Gardening makes me happy, so I figured I'd get busy with it! I bought a bunch of herbs today. I also bought 11 tomato plants, 3 jalapenos, a cucumber, a zucchini, a crookneck squash, and I'm trying to find a watermelon plant right now. I just hope I can keep it all alive!!! The house came with six fruit trees and the only ones we seem to have trouble with are the two apple trees. They seem disease prone. We get a ton of pears and peaches, though. Yum! We also have strawberries (I picked a whole bowl full yesterday and there are still tons to pick) and I planted some raspberries when we first moved in. The raspberries seem to be doing better this year. I think we got maybe two berries last year because we had a major ant problem. This yard keeps us VERY busy! It is beautiful, though!

Sorry about all of this boring gardening garb, but I love it! I wanted to write something positive about my life, and this is what I've been doing lately. So, as soon as my new camera gets here, I will take some pics and post them. I might even make a post or two!



OH, I almost forgot!!!! Lain won an IPod today at work!! He was drawn in a raffle! It's a video one- 30 GB! I told him that I think our luck is changing! He just laughed. I don't think he believes me! ;-) I hope I'm right!

6 comments:

The Piet Girls said...

I love gardening too but it's too stinkin hot here and I end up with a lot of dead stuff every year. I am so jealous of you living in Utah and being able to have a real vegetable and flower garden. Mine still looks OK right now because we haven't had any REAL heat yet, but just give it a couple more weeks. ENJOY!!!

Terry's said...

Hi Sarah!
I found you from Eliza's blog, who found me from Gina's blog!
I didn't know you lived in Utah too!
I live in Saratoga Springs, but I'm in Minnesota for the summer right now.
Your kids are so cute! It's good hearing about everyone...even when I have to stalk!
You are sure lucky with the garden!Our backyard is pure timbleweeds and rocks in SS.
Later gater!
Cristine

The White Clan said...

Dang IPOD! I will let you and mom do the gardening, and I will stick to the hair. I have no desire to doa that, I am still surprised that I have flowers growing. My thumb is VERY black!

McLeod Clan said...

I want a post about the Duke's new puppy!

Eliza said...

Check you out. When shall we get together? I haven't seen your house, you haven't seen my house. Hey...call me NOW!

I like the columbine, mmmm so preetay (to be said with korean accent)

Alli Easley said...

Check out your mansion, and all your fancy plant talk. I'm totally intimidated. Here's how I talk plant:

"Hey, we should plant some plants, you know...those kind that grow when you put them outside or inside, or wherever..."

Actually, I'm not really that big of a tard, but your green thumb is showing, and it's kinda hot.